GrainCorp contracted Allied Grain Systems to design and construct a large capital project for grain silo storage. This facility was constructed at GrainCorp’s Geelong Port Terminal, which is Victoria’s largest port for grain exports.
The project involved the construction of a new sealed grain storage system to be used for automated fumigation of all grain prior to export.
The fumigation of grain prior to export has become increasingly important to exporters as they strive to deliver an insect-free grain product to customers worldwide.
The automated fumigation system designed by Allied Grain Systems was an innovative and world-first design. The design works by first measuring the grain mass to ensure an accurate calculation of the necessary fumigation gas. Once measured, the gas is dispersed within the silo to ensure that all grain remains 100% free from insect contamination.
The storage facility designed by Allied Grain Systems also allows for automated container loading of shipping containers that are to be exported from Geelong. The container loading system allows B double trucks to drive through an automated loading station specifically designed to weigh and fill containers at a constant flow of around 12 containers per hour.
This system was also an innovative new design specifically for the container export system and enhanced GrainCorp’s port export infrastructure.
Allied Grain Systems’ contract with GrainCorp included the following:
- All preliminary earthworks at the existing site to allow for construction.
- All civil works, including concrete road design and construction, as well as all necessary silo base foundations (which included over fifty 12 metre-deep piers as the ground conditions close to port were found to be quite poor).
- The design and fabrication of all structural components, including structural elevator towers (nominally 50 metres tall).
- Container loading structures, including automated tilting panel operator access to containers on trucks.
- The construction of three 1,500 Tonne and two 500 Tonne conical-based, gas-tight storage silos.
- The design, construction and implementation of an automated fumigation system.
- A comprehensive grain weighing system.
- Installation of operator rooms and facilities.
- The design and supply of all conveying systems, including 50-metre-tall elevators and a 200- metre-long 500 TPH elevator.
- Full electrical package including design installation and automation.
This project placed Allied Grain Systems as one of Australia’s Premier Grain Storage and Conveying Design and Construction companies. With a second workshop installed on the Young NSW premises, Allied Grain Systems is confident that future large commercial projects will be contracted to guarantee workers a secure future.